The 12th Annual Membership Appreciation Picnic and Chili Cook-off was a delicious success and a true celebration of land conservation on Lummi Island!
It was a glorious sunny afternoon in the Otto Preserve meadow. Ten chili chef teams competed for fame and cash prizes, while local musicians the Copacetics entertained us with lively music and tap-dancing. The first place prize by popular vote went to the Chili Sisters, Cynthia Dahlstrom and Kelly Barla, for their Lummi Isle Style chili. Congratulations Chili Sisters! We hope you will return to defend your title at the 2017 Cook-Off.
Our business sponsors, Sound Beverage, Pacific Survey and Engineering, Northwest Propane, Hilander Pump and Well, and Echo Ultrasonics, along with a league of volunteers and all our members make this event a success. We appreciate you all! We truly would not be Preserving the Nature of Lummi Island without you. Thank you one and all!
By popular vote
- First Place - Chili Sisters
- Second Place - Pop 'n Sons (Slimane Family)
- Third Place - Billy Olberg
Honorary Judge Awards
- Family values - Pop 'n Sons
- We are the world - Fava Picata (Lorraine Batra)
- Platinum card service - Can't believe it's vegetarian (Bob & Julie Anderson)
- Best dressed from the inside out - Chili Sisters